~The world is full of aspiring heroes, all striving to reach the summit of a mountain of dreams. Each second of every day is utilized and malleated to form the masterpiece that is their accomplishment, knowing full well a minor lapse in preparation is most likely catastrophic. These well tuned machines forge their minds, bodies, and souls to live, eat, sweat, and breathe their desire, becoming invincible. Defeat is not an option, rest is unneeded. Victory becomes their sustenance. The world has become their own...

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Persistant Prognoses

I am fully aware that a stress fracture takes time to heal, and that time must be filled with rest. However, depending on the fracture, rest can mean a variety of things.

So going into the doctor's today I had a theory that my cross training was the root of the healing problem. After much cyberchondria, I located a menagerie of running blogs with athletes experiencing similar pains and problems. The general consensus was that the pubic ramus, a non-load-bearing bone, was aggravated by more than just the pounding that results from running. Many sources said that the pubic bone can be stressed during the action of hamstring flexion. So, since I was in pretty bad pain after the past couple of days post my first light jog, I decided to out logic this conundrum.

I've come to the conclusion that all of the cross training, whether in the pool or on the bike, was minutely but constantly aggravating the stress reaction, allowing the bone no adequate time to heal. Solution: The upcoming Christmas break is gonna be filled with a few weeks of little to zero motion of any kind. Cross training will have to wait.


The end prognosis of the doctor was exactly the same as a month in a half ago; Cross train as pain tolerates, and wait for the bone to heal. However, at this point in my life, patience is hard to come by. I'm beginning to see the end of my college career, and there is precious little time left. But if I've learned anything from injuries in the past, the best way to deal with the uncertainty, frustration, and torture is to sit back, relax, and enjoy each day as it comes. And speaking of enjoying each day, I think I'll end this one with a few hours of Zombies. This Xbox will be the bane of my final exams...

No comments:

Post a Comment