~The world is full of aspiring heroes, all striving to reach the summit of a mountain of dreams. Each second of every day is utilized and malleated to form the masterpiece that is their accomplishment, knowing full well a minor lapse in preparation is most likely catastrophic. These well tuned machines forge their minds, bodies, and souls to live, eat, sweat, and breathe their desire, becoming invincible. Defeat is not an option, rest is unneeded. Victory becomes their sustenance. The world has become their own...

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Who reads a blog, anyway?

Ooh look! A website like Twitter where I do not have to limit my rambling thoughts to a maximum of 160 characters! What a beautiful invention! Well, not really. I hate Twitter unless I'm checking up on a favorite band, and this blog is just a manifestation of my boredom coupled with my irresistible urge to explain my bad luck to some unsuspecting readers. Perhaps it's all due to my journalistic core rising from the ashes of my now engineering filled world. Anyhow, this blog is not meant to find followers, make money, or complain to the anonymous of the internet. It's simply a way for me to vent in the only way I truly know how: internet notes with absolutely no purpose.

So let's see... I'll give "readers" a brief rundown of my predicament. In no means is this a comprehensive review of my life, but rather an overview with the intention of portraying the world in my perspective. I'm a runner at Mizzou who had a hell of a high school career. Freshman year of college, I had a few great cross races, then slid into track with a few victories, some quick times, but ultimately the indoor season wore me out, as I had never experienced racing in a large, dry, warehouse-like building on a tiny little banked oval. Outdoor started with a bang, as I ran 3:54 and change in the 1500 in 30 degree windy and sleety weather. However, that was the last actual race I've ran, and that was March of 2008.

After the race, I got sick, took antidepressants to try to fix it, wound up having no energy and limping through an unproductive outdoor season. The summer brought a diagnosis, steroids, and lots of rebuilding time, as my ulcerative colitis had pretty much destroyed my body's ability to recover. I tried running the '08 cross season, but got worked... bad. I then redshirted outdoor that spring in the hopes that a break was all I'd need. I was wrong. The following cross season I was inconsistent, but I managed to score, race alright, make it to conference, and mold myself into the best shape I'd been in since high school. The track season was approaching and I couldn't wait to race. However, an Achilles tendon injury during the first race in January left me sidelined until March. I was almost ready to rebound for outdoor season, when a freak knee bruise turned rouge, and became an unbearable bone bruise that required a PRP injection and months off. There went another year of track.

So naturally, I trained my ass off this past summer. I was fit rolling into cross season, but due to a group decision by the Missouri staff and athletes, a mass redshirting extravaganza took place this past fall, leaving me to race the home meet unattached. The next race on my schedule was out at Bradley University in Peoria Illinois. I drove myself 5 hours out to a golf course only to have my hip lock up 1000 meters into my second 8k of the season. I limped around the course, fuming and in pain, but the prognosis as of then was a simple muscle spasm. As the days went on, the hip did not heal, and ultimately an MRI pointed out a non-load bearing stress fracture: just what I was searching for.

The following weeks of October and into November, the stationary bike has been my life. I've already spent a full day on that horrible creation, and was about to escape its tormenting grasp a week ago today, but an inconsequential 10 minutes of 30 seconds jogging and 1 minute walking would bring to light the fact that the fracture was not healed. In fact, as of today, I'm in more pain than ever. A doctor's appointment tonight should destroy any plans I have of running indoor again this year, but I haven't given up all hope yet. There's always a faint light in the distance, no matter how formidable or lengthy the tunnel of life may be...

No comments:

Post a Comment