~The world is full of aspiring heroes, all striving to reach the summit of a mountain of dreams. Each second of every day is utilized and malleated to form the masterpiece that is their accomplishment, knowing full well a minor lapse in preparation is most likely catastrophic. These well tuned machines forge their minds, bodies, and souls to live, eat, sweat, and breathe their desire, becoming invincible. Defeat is not an option, rest is unneeded. Victory becomes their sustenance. The world has become their own...

Sunday, December 12, 2010

SNOW!

The ground is a blinding shade of brightness as fluffy, dry, white powder changes lawns from green to white, leaving only black borders for those brave enough to explore the sub-freezing tundra. It snowed all of last night, starting around 9pm, rendering driving inadvisable and outdoor activities uncomfortable. I always love the first night of snow covered earth, as the whiteness reflects enough light to illuminate my entire bedroom! However, the first snow also usually brings out an aversion to be outside, thus the unwillingness to complete my daily run. This year's first snow is so odd, though, as I feel no enmity towards the run-ruining, half-foot deep white blanket. Instead, it simply brought me closer to the warm feeling of fireside Christmas songs coupled with party mix and the smell of pine in my living room at home. Too bad the horrible monstrosity that is final's week presents a formidable challenge to surpass before liberation from my scholastic endeavors of 2010.

Another event that occurred last night was a failed attempt to have a going-away party for a teammate of mine. After much deliberation, I'm sure, he's decided to head back east to his hometown. The news of his departure from the team, which I heard not three weeks ago, was a slap in the face. I feel so distraught over the matter. As he is just a mere sophomore finishing his second season of XC, and I have been anything but consistently healthy, I've had little to no contact and bonding time with him. It's quite a loss, too, as I see myself in the way he pursues his athletics. He is extremely dedicated to the cause, always working to improve, going above and beyond his bodies limits to better the team by any means possible. He's selfless and strong. He holds himself accountable for his performance, and wants nothing less than his absolute best every day. He's become a role model for me, and it destroys me that I don't get to train with him when I finally get myself out of this rut I've become accustomed to. I wish him the best of luck back home, and I'm sure he'll be amazing at whatever he decides to pursue.

However, the party to send him off in style was extremely unsuccessful. After a teammate purchased $155 worth of booze for a mixed drink that was 10% by volume, hardly anyone stayed to dance and party, which in all honesty was the best possible outcome. The house was vacated a little before 1 am, and I happily got to sleep immediately. Unfortunately, today came WAY too soon, as studying is the majority of my schedule for the next 5 days. Speaking of that, I'll write more later... but for now Bioelectricity and Biomaterials are calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment