~The world is full of aspiring heroes, all striving to reach the summit of a mountain of dreams. Each second of every day is utilized and malleated to form the masterpiece that is their accomplishment, knowing full well a minor lapse in preparation is most likely catastrophic. These well tuned machines forge their minds, bodies, and souls to live, eat, sweat, and breathe their desire, becoming invincible. Defeat is not an option, rest is unneeded. Victory becomes their sustenance. The world has become their own...

Friday, April 22, 2011

Deja Vu

Just stepped out of the shower at the Hampton Inn in Athens, Georgia and I can't help but feel like I was just here. Every bit of this weekend hotel getaway is a repeat of last week, only 300 or so miles to the south. Welcome to my cookie-cutter life.

It never ceases to amaze me how much money is spent on college athletics, and I'm only keen to the Track and Field finances. We flew 58 people from STL to ATL, with a total ticket cost of around $40,000. On top of that, every person on the team receives per diem, of $52! Couple that with a team dinner earlier tonight and the cost to bus us all from airport to hotel, and you have quite an expensive operation. I'm very lucky to be a part of it.

As for tomorrow, the Georgia Dual should be a ton of fun. I can't wait to get in and race my ass off to get some points for the team! I'm really not that worried this weekend, as I'm feeling good and really wanting to get a PR. Sub 4 min. here I come! Also, I get to see a long lost teammate tomorrow night...

But in all honesty, all I want to do is get home and finish out this year. Graduating suddenly got much tougher these last couple weeks. Projects, papers, research, posters, and exams loom in the near future; the last hurdles in my undergraduate plight. I'm really tired, and I'm really burnt out. 18 hours, track meets on weekends, working in the lab, and trying to train is becoming almost too much to handle.

So it's time to sleep. Can't wait to race. Can't wait to be home. Can't wait til summer. I have to remember to stop and enjoy my hectic life...

No comments:

Post a Comment