~The world is full of aspiring heroes, all striving to reach the summit of a mountain of dreams. Each second of every day is utilized and malleated to form the masterpiece that is their accomplishment, knowing full well a minor lapse in preparation is most likely catastrophic. These well tuned machines forge their minds, bodies, and souls to live, eat, sweat, and breathe their desire, becoming invincible. Defeat is not an option, rest is unneeded. Victory becomes their sustenance. The world has become their own...

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Per Diem

It's been such a long time. So many seemingly pointless miles through the trails. So many stifling 90+ degree summer days, humidity bearing down. So many more sub-freezing days, where there was always a possibility of losing an extremity. Even more hours spent cycling away, confined by the walls of not only the training room, but the barriers erected in my mind walling off any hope of reaching my goals. I've biked like a maniac for 90+ minutes with only an iPod and the occasional text message. I've cruised through rec-center days on the elliptical, solely focused on the 3x3 screen constantly blurred by the drips of sweat falling from my hair. I've even swam, miles upon miles back and forth in the pool, with thoughts and burning desires swimming freely through my mind. It's been such a long time.

Retribution. Today on the track was retribution; a per diem of sorts for all my miserable, painful, and generally forlorn days fighting to keep my dream alive, when so many had long since given up hope. After so many hours chipping away at the formidable fortress constructed to keep me from my goals, I've finally broken through! Let the trumpets sound! No one in the entire nation is as happy as I am to complete 3 and 3/4 laps around a track in a meager 4:08.2, but that's their problem. Today I am reveling in the payoff to all the effort spent, days wasted, and lifestyle amended. Simply put, I raced my ass off today.

Although I didn't set the track on fire today, a 4:08.2 after ~3 weeks of running is in no way disappointing to me. Three weeks ago I ran 15 miles, with constant soreness in my hip. Two weeks ago I ran 30, with an eye-opening 3-2-1 fartlek. Last week was a set of quarters in 66, and a total of 40 miles. To go out today and run a 4:08 is nothing short of astounding. In truth, it was frustration that trumped fitness, and the slow heat at the MU RELAYS had no chance to respond :)

However, I'm exhausted, and even the small task of typing has somehow drained me even more. Time for some final four action and a night on the town with one of the greatest guys I've ever met. Life couldn't be better.

Today, after three years of soul searching, I remembered why running is fun. Carpe Diem.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog! That's awesome that you got to run and did so well dude! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete