~The world is full of aspiring heroes, all striving to reach the summit of a mountain of dreams. Each second of every day is utilized and malleated to form the masterpiece that is their accomplishment, knowing full well a minor lapse in preparation is most likely catastrophic. These well tuned machines forge their minds, bodies, and souls to live, eat, sweat, and breathe their desire, becoming invincible. Defeat is not an option, rest is unneeded. Victory becomes their sustenance. The world has become their own...

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A long time coming...

Today, out of sheer amazement, my coach informed me that I would be making the trip to Indiana this weekend. Needless to say, I am ecstatic. In all honesty, I shed a tear when I received the paper I'd yearned for more than anything else for the past year; the trip roster. No single thing could have brought me more joy than that inconspicuous sheet covered in black and white font with eight letters reserved for my name. It was the holy grail of parchment, the Desert Sea Scrolls of my forgotten and often undocumented tumultuous past.

Alright, enough with literary drivel about how awesome it was to be handed the trip roster. I'm going to Indiana!!!!! WOOOOOO!

So after getting the news, I immediately had to transition into workout mode. Today I was harshly introduced to the pace I'd be maintaining in the 1500 this weekend. Starting with a 600 at 1:31, our workout followed with two 300s in 41 seconds. To cap it off, we shifted into top gear to roll through four 150s.... I'm beat. I quickly realized that having a stress fracture and taking 3 months off does not allow smooth transition into speed work. My fast twitch muscle fibers are definitely still in hibernation. I hope they decide to kick in when I round the final turn on the famous track in Bloomington.

After a recovery dinner of pasta and three loads of laundry while watching last night's episode of House, I'm now parked in front of a cozy fire pit, radiating comforting heat to my tired bones. The sky is clear and lit by a crescent moon, and the sixty degree breeze is intoxicating. It's unbelievable how far away winter feels, even though snow blanketed the University not even a month ago.

But for now, a chocolate milkshake, a beautiful night, a tantalizing fire are soothing my nerves and recharging my batteries. A weekend abroad and a chance to brush my PR will have to wait a few more nights.

As a side note, the second most exciting news is that The Damnwells will be in St. Louis on Thursday night! I'm beyond excited to see them in concert again, and have been rocking to Air Stereo for the past month of homework nights. Yes, I'm obsessed, and yes they're awesome. This week is going to be awesome.

It's good to be alive...

No comments:

Post a Comment